Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Background and the Surgery

Hi everyone! This blog is to help anyone who is about to have ACL surgery. So, a little background about me. I'm 17 year old female, and I play field hockey year round.  I tore my right ACL on Tuesday, June 26, 2012, in the very very beginning of the season, at a field hockey game. I had my first appointment with an orthopedic doctor that Wednesday, and then an MRI that same Friday! My appointment with the surgeon was then scheduled for July 9. The doctors like to wait a little while for the swelling to go down because they like to poke and prod you. After the appointment with the surgeon, my surgery was scheduled for July 17th, 2012 (which just happens to be my birthday).

As you all have heard, if you are reading this blog, the recovery period the doctors say is 6 months. However, wouldn't you want it to be shorter? With this blog, I will post almost daily about my recovery and what I am doing with physical therapy. Feel free to ask questions or leave comments!


Day of Surgery: 
6:30 am: at the hospital, all checked in
7:30 am: all changed and given an IV 
by 8 am: I was given a nerve block. This is where they block the nerve all the way from the top of your leg to just about your shin. It should last up to 30 hours after the surgery. The doctors then give you something else, to block the rest of your leg. They give you drugs for this, so afterwards you won't be able to remember things too clearly :) 
8:30 am: in the operating room and conked out 
12 pm: I am awake and out of surgery in recovery. my leg is completely numb, no pain at all. 
by 1:30 pm: I am out of the hospital and back at home resting

Drugs and Machines: 
I was prescribed Percocet and Oxycodone to relieve the pain. 
I have a CPM (continuous passive motion machine) that bends and extends your knee. I wear it for 6 to 8 hours a day (delivered the day of surgery) 
An Empi machine that gives shocks to my muscles to help the pain and regain some strength (delivered day before surgery) 
Polar Ice Machine which continuously gives ice to my knee (although with the nerve block I can't feel a thing). (deleviered day of surgery) 
A big clunky brace: fitted Thursday before surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment