Friday, July 20, 2012

First PT

Today marked a couple milestones. 
My first PT session and my first shower since the operation. 
At PT I met with my therapist, John. He first cleaned my incision spot and gave me a new ACE bandage. He measured my range of motion. I was 8 degrees shy of full extension and only at 82 degrees with flexion (normally at 124 degrees). Also, I would like to point out I have no, let me repeat, NO, quad muscles anymore. I can not lift my leg straight up in the air anymore. It's pathetic. But, oh well. I left with 4 beginner exercises. 

1. Squeeze quad muscles (will help me with my lack of muscle situation)
2. On a hardwood surface and while wearing a sock, slide my heel up towards my butt until I feel the stretch (I get to around 70 degrees and then struggle) 
3. Calf stretch 
4. Hip extension while lying on my left side

When  I came home, I was so surprised by what little muscle I have! I took a nice long nap and then repeated the exercises. With all my concentration, I was able to lift my leg up in the air about 5 inches (One I got passed the pain it took to flex bc of the swelling, I was able to lift it up). 

- Shower -
Shower, such as simple thing, that you miss SO much. I was a little scared because of these stitches, that aren't really stitches, just like stickers?!, but they didn't hurt in the water, so all was good. 

My pain is tolerable now, still some sharp pain here and there, but manageable. 
To all of those who are wondering how long it takes for the major pain to subside, I would say 4 days, with minor, controllable pain residing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment